The Surgical Technician (ST) provides care to the surgical patient under the direct supervision of the registered nurse and in collaboration with the surgical team.
Essential Job Duties:
- The ST performs primarily in the surgical scrub role preparing and selecting and maintaining equipment, instruments, and supplies.
- The ST possesses knowledge in the application of sterile and aseptic technique.
- The ST utilizes knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, surgical instrumentation and technology as a member of the surgical team.
- The ST will cross train in a variety of positions within the surgical department.
- Adapts to unpredictable situations within the perioperative setting
- Possess the ability to communicate with a variety of people in a direct, empathetic, and articulate manner
- Comprehensive understanding of surgical processes and procedures
- Graduate of an accredited program of surgical technology under the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or current certification throughNational board of Surgical Technology and/or Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)
- 1 to 2 years successful surgical technician experience in perioperative or surgical setting
- Good working knowledge of Orthopedics and General Surgery preferred
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Frequent standing, stooping, bending, stretching, squatting; must be able to stand/walk for up to 70% of the work day; Must be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. frequently and 50 lbs. occasionally. May be exposed to communicable diseases. Must be able to work paying close attention to detail with frequent interruptions.