The Self Pay Collector is responsible for collecting outstanding patient balances in a timely manner.
Essential Job Duties:
- Confer with patients via inbound/outbound telephone calls.
- Verify patient insurance and benefit information.
- Check payer websites and/or call payers for eligibility verification to insure accurate claims processing.
- Establish payment arrangements on behalf of the patient based on ability to pay.
- Properly manage and meet daily/monthly collection queue.
- Review all accounts within assigned inventory and attempt to collect outstanding insurance balances.
- Escalate payer issues to Patient Accounts Manager.
- Coordinate with all related departments to resolve claim/patient billing issues.
- Maintain a high level of customer service.
- Follow collection policies and procedures.
- Maintain notes in patient accounts for all actions taken.
- Works as a team member within the business office.
- Attends in-service training and education sessions, as assigned.
- Performs specific work duties and responsibilities assigned by supervisor.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Computer literate with Windows Basics and Microsoft Office.
- Strong communication and critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- ICD 10, CPT Coding, and Medical Terminology.
- Knowledge of Medicare, AHCCCS and Commercial Insurances.
- Previous healthcare collection experience.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Must be able to sit for long periods. Must be able to operate standard office equipment. Must be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. Must be able to work paying close attention to detail with frequent interruptions. Must be comfortable working in a fast paced, energetic work environment.