Peri-Operative Services Tech
The Peri-Operative Services Tech performs support duties essential to the running of the surgical services area. The Peri-Operative Tech assists with assigned patient-care activities under the direct supervision of an RN to enhance and expedite surgical procedures; Maintains a safe, clean patient-care environment utilizing a cost-effective approach to ensure optimum patient care and employee safety; Assists in the transporting of patients to and from the surgical services department; specimen transport; supplies, and equipment to meet both patient and department needs. Performs the duties of an Anesthesia Tech.
Essential Job Duties:
- Transports patients to and from the surgical department and ensures adequate help is available when moving patients.
- Maintains patient care supplies and equipment. Including cleaning equipment and putting it away.
- Performs routine housekeeping duties for cleaning and disinfection of an operating room utilizing best practices for infection prevention and control.
- Assists surgical team with surgical room turnovers
- Performs anesthesia tech duties (approximately 30% of the time) to include refiling of supplies in anesthesia carts every work day, checking expiration dates in the carts every month, refiling of the anesthesia gas, checking of the anesthesia machine every morning in preparation for the daily cases. Prepares anesthesia supplies and equipment.
- Performs terminal cleaning of the OR’s. Follow established protocols for cleaning and disinfecting all areas of the Operating rooms, storage, soiled utilities, anesthesia work room, and other peri-operative areas.
- Performs morning cleaning of the OR’s.
- Cleans entire operating room back area to include sub sterile, sterile, supply room (OR & Anesthesia), and decontamination.
- Completely cleans patient stretchers every day.
- Discard OR trash asap following ending of procedure as specified by the protocols.
- Follow established protocols for cleaning and disinfecting all sterile processing area (eg, decontamination rooms, clean workrooms, clean/sterile storage rooms, hallways, utility rooms).
- Follow established protocols for routine, between case, enhanced environmental cleaning, and terminal cleaning of the OR’s and procedure rooms.
- Follow established protocols for preparing, using, and disposing of cleaning chemicals.
- Follow established protocols for preparing, using, and cleaning with the HALO and Floor machines.
- Clean and disinfect assigned area’s including furnishings and equipment.
- Assist with induction and emergence of patient from anesthesia by obtaining necessary supplies.
- Assist with patient transfers in OR.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English with demonstrated simple arithmetic skills.
- High School graduate or equivalent
- BLS (CPR) Certification within 3 months of hire
- Previous experience in a healthcare setting; hospital housekeeping experience
- Knowledge of surgical procedures, sterile technique; experience as an Anesthesia Tech
- Basic computing
- Physically demanding, high-stress environment
- Occasional exposure to blood and body fluids, communicable diseases, chemicals, radiation, and repetitive motions
- Full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients
- Manual and finger dexterity
- Hand and eye coordination
- Sitting, standing, and walking for extensive periods of time
- Lifting and carrying items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Corrected vision and hearing to within normal range
- Frequently sitting at desk working on computer