Patient Accounts Supervisor
Oversees daily operations of Patient Accounts which includes Billing, Collection and Customer Service. Ensures efficient and effective department operations by managing employee and client relations and guiding and coaching staff to achieve operational goals in all areas of converting revenue to cash. Supervisor will develop and foster a professional working relationship with hospital managers, all revenue producing departments, charge master and third-party payer personnel as well as members of the hospital staff.
Essential Job Duties:
- Establishes and maintains a system that ensures Customer Service processes are handled in a timely, effective and efficient manner.
- Develops, implements and maintains operating practices according to hospital objectives and within established time frames.
- Ensures demographic, financial and billing information is accurately collected during the interactions with the public.
- Ensures HIPAA consents and pertinent information are always obtained.
- Consistently follows up on necessary actions to correct data collection errors or issues.
- Monitors patient complaints to ensure resolution on a timely basis.
- Enforces business practices in charity care programs, bankruptcy laws and customer communication.
- Maintains a good working relationship with physician offices and community members.
- Coordinates training programs designed to maximize the knowledge and professionalism of department personnel.
- Supervises the orientation of new employees and the ongoing training of all personnel in the department to ensure competency.
- Recommends corrective measures and opportunities for improvement.
- Develops and administers measurable performance and productivity objectives related to the quality of Patient Accounts activities, including work
- Prepares and maintains monthly department staff schedule and changes to the schedule when needed. Ensures PTO is submitted and entered into the time and attendance system.
- Directs and/or participates in inter-departmental Task Forces and other committees as required.
- Maintains relevant statistical information to assist in performance indicators, regulatory reporting and other departmental needs.
- Monitors the performance of department personnel and takes corrective action as appropriate.
- Provides regular feedback to Patient Accounts Manager on employee’s progress including, but not limited to, a 90-day written summary for new employees and an annual written review of all employees.
- Provides ongoing guidance and coaching to staff utilizing the principles of Interaction Management.
- Assumes responsibility for the department, in the absence of the manager.
In interacting with others, the Patient Accounts Supervisor is expected to: 1) maintain and enhance the self-esteem of others, 2) listen and respond to others using empathy, 3) ask for help from others in solving problems, 4) share thoughts and rationale with others, 5) provide support without removing the responsibility of others.
- Acts as a resource to the Patient Accounts Manager and/or the Chief Financial Officer in department matters.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- May perform administrative and financial tasks as assigned by the Manager of Patient Accounts.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of three years of experience in business processes i.e. physician office administration, Patient Access, Patient Accounting, Payer Contracting, or a broad healthcare knowledge in all aspects of each task.
- Minimum two (2) years of leadership/supervisory experience.
- Must be familiar with all types of healthcare business office activities and processes, including, but not limited to, Admitting, Pre-admitting, Insurance Verification, Billing, Collection, Cash Management and Customer Service.
- Knowledge of third-party payer requirements including federal, state and private health care plans and authorization processes.
- Excellent computer skills with knowledge of system maintenance relating directly to Patient Financial Services applications preferred.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, public relations, leadership and team-building skills.
- Must be a self-starter who is accountable and requires minimal direction and supervision.
- Must be creative, flexible and open to new ideas.
- Must possess the personal characteristics of professionalism, credibility and commitment to high standards.
- Able to adapt to change of duties quickly and smoothly.
- Associates degree In Business or related field preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in healthcare patient accounting
- Payer contract interpretation and enforcement
- Advanced Microsoft windows experience
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Frequent standing, stooping, bending, stretching, squatting; must be able to stand/walk for most of the work day; heavy lifting, must be able to lift packages up to 15 pounds
- Must be able to work paying close attention to detail with frequent interruptions
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment
- Incumbent duties are administrative in nature and include ability to:
- Walk throughout the hospital to access information from other work areas
- Use hand(s), keyboarding, mousing and/or writing for extended periods of time
- Bending stooping and sitting for long periods of time
- Occasional lifting of 5-15 pounds
- Process verbal information and input this information into computer system
- Follow complex instructions
- Think logically in following procedures and instructions
- Work under stress, with interruptions and deadlines