Patient Accounts Manager
The Patient Accounts Manager is responsible for the daily oversight, management, and direction of patient accounts receivable to maximize reimbursement by ensuring accurate and timely billing and collections from third party payers and patients; maintaining appropriate internal controls, monitoring activities of business office vendors and insurance companies, and working closely with patient access, coding and clinical care teams to minimize denials. Collaborates with leadership to identify best practices and develop performance improvement strategies. Plays a key role in the continuous improvement of Revenue Cycle Management which includes accountability for patient accounting key performance indicators. Provides supervision and leadership for all business office staff. Develops and manages processes for all hospital business office functions, leveraging technology, when appropriate, to optimize accounts receivable performance
Essential Job Duties
- Review patient accounts key performance indicators weekly; identify and address any metrics falling below goals.
- Develop and implement process improvement strategies and work plans. Facilitate cross-department collaboration, when appropriate. Actively participate in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement activities in other areas of the revenue cycle, when needed.
- Coordinate with other hospital departments to reduce denials, improve accounts receivable and overall cash performance for the organization. Chair monthly denial review meeting to include appropriate revenue cycle leadership to identify/implement upstream process improvements to prevent future denials/write-offs.
- Develop, monitor, and distribute metrics reporting to leadership and staff to ensure the organization is aligned in its mission to maintain the highest level of cash performance for the organization.
- Assist in developing policies, procedures and reference materials for staff impacting the revenue cycle.
- Monitor productivity daily, weekly or monthly, as required. Hold regular check-ins with business office team to review goals, progress towards goals, and understand risks and barriers.
- Perform quality assurance audits quarterly on each direct report. Provide timely feedback to staff and arrange training to improve staff performance, if needed.
- Monitor business office vendor performance and resolve performance issues as needed.
- Review system updates and intervene when necessary to maintain a well-integrated process. Keep systems updated when regulations and/or hospital and clinic services change.
- Ensure all billing and follow-up processes are being followed and completed timely
- Manage staff workload and coverage for staff absences
- Assess department staffing and implement hiring/realignment strategies, if necessary
- Maintain department policies and procedures
- Track payer issues and escalate to payer representatives when appropriate
- Participate in payer contracting
- Complete payer performance audits regularly, including timeliness and accuracy of payments per contract
- Complete staff performance evaluations
Other (Non-essential) Duties
- Communicate effectively with all co-workers in a courteous and professional manner
- Attend organizational and department meetings when indicated
- Participate in team discussions and planning
- Follow all hospital policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Hospital Chief Financial Officer
- Adhere to HIPAA privacy regulations at all times
- Minimum 5 years of Revenue Cycle Management experience in a Hospital setting
- Must be highly organized with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects and staff simultaneously
- Must possess excellent time management skills
- Excellent supervisory and leadership with strong communication skills
- Strong ethics with a high level of personal and professional integrity
- Proficient computer skills with strong knowledge of Microsoft Word & Excel
- Bachelor’s Degree is highly preferred
- Coding experience preferred
Physical Requirements/Working conditions
- Must be able to sit for long periods
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs
- Must be able to work paying close attention to detail with frequent interruptions
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment