Hospital Patient Access Supervisor
The Hospital Patient Access Supervisor is responsible for the day to day supervision of all Hospital Patient Access areas. Ensures exceptional care and service is provided by Patient Access Staff to patients, visitors, and fellow employees at all times. Ensures staff are trained in all policies and processes of registration, scheduling, insurance verification's & authorizations to achieve consistent and quality outcomes. Performs all duties and responsibilities in such a way to demonstrate and support the organization’s mission and vision.
Essentials Job Duties:
- Ensures patients are scheduled and registered in a courteous, professional & timely manner.
- Ensures patients are provided with consistent and accurate information for all services provided.
- Provides exemplary customer service and handles service recovery for any patient issues and ensures patient complaints are handled in a timely and appropriate manner
- Maintains staff schedules for consistent coverage in all areas is obtained, overall time management is observed to avoid overtime
- Maintains and participates in on call schedule rotation for Patient Access Supervisors and Team Leads for after hours and weekend assistance or coverage
- Develops and maintains smooth and efficient workflows and processes across all Patient Access areas of the Hospital.
- Works closely with Clinic Patient Access Supervisor to ensure seamless treatment of clinic patients for diagnostic testing and procedure needs.
- Works collaboratively with the Acute Floor Nursing Staff to ensure an accurate patient daily census is obtained
- Ensures quality checks are performed to verify staff is obtaining complete and accurate patient and insurance information for accurate and timely billing with a goal of 97% accuracy rate across all areas.
- Develops and maintains a thorough training program for new hires and cross training program across department.
- Maintains knowledge and understanding of all registration. scheduling, pre-authorization requirements and regulations as well as basic knowledge of health insurance and billing procedures
- Ensures phones are answered professionally and efficiently and routed appropriately and detailed messages are distributed to clinical teams.
- Provides excellent ongoing communication to staff on organizational updates, regulatory and procedure changes.
- Conducts evaluations and provides coaching, counseling, and disciplinary action when applicable.
- Ensures HIPAA & EMTALA guidelines are being followed
- Conducts Monthly Department Meetings
- Attends organizational meetings when indicated.
- Participates in team discussions and planning
- Performs duties as assigned by the Patient Access Manager
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2 + years of Supervisory experience in healthcare/hospital
- 4+ years patient access or healthcare revenue cycle experience required
- Knowledge of third-party payer eligibility & benefits, referral & precertification/ authorization processes required
- Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- CHAA or CHAM certification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare related discipline
- Bilingual/Spanish speaking
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit for long periods of time and/or do extensive walking around the organization in their leadership role.
- Must be able to work paying close attention to detail with frequent interruptions.