The HIM Supervisor oversees daily operations of the HIM Dept which includes ROI, coding, auditing, peer review, chart review, charge capture, documentation improvement, and compliance. Ensures efficient and effective department operations by managing employee relations as well as guiding and coaching staff to achieve operational goals in all areas of the revenue cycle. Supervisor will develop and foster a professional working relationship with hospital leadership. Supervisor may perform administrative and financial tasks as assigned by HIM Manager.
Essential Job Duties:
- Build and generate reports from the EMR.
- Complete accurate and timely audits to ensure compliance in all areas of the revenue cycle, including registration, coding and billing.
- Monitors patient complaints to ensure resolution on a timely basis.
- Maintains a good working relationship with physicians and will act as the liaison between coding and physicians for educational purposes.
- Coordinates training programs designed to maximize the knowledge of department personnel.
- Supervises the orientation of new employees and the ongoing training of all personnel in the department to ensure competency.
- Recommends corrective measures and opportunities for improvement.
- Develops and administers measurable performance and productivity objectives related to the quality of HIM activities.
- Prepares and maintains monthly department staff schedule as well as changes to the schedule as needed.
- Maintains accurate time records for all staff in timecard system, including adding sick time, PTO and changing in/out punches as needed.
- Directs and/or participates in inter-departmental committees as required.
- Maintains relevant statistical information to assist in performance indicators, regulatory reporting and other departmental needs.
- Monitors the performance of department personnel and takes corrective action as appropriate.
- Provides regular feedback to HIM Manager on employee performance, including but not limited to, a 90-day written summary for new employees and an annual written review of all employees.
- Provides ongoing guidance and coaching to staff.
- Will participate in various committees across the organization such as peer review committee and utilization review committee.
- Will stay abreast of the regulations regarding documentation requirements and actively engage in continuing education and train WCH staff accordingly.
- Collaborate extensively with Patient Access Supervisor and Patient Accounts Supervisor to identify issues impacting reimbursement and work on resolution as a team.
- Assumes responsibility for the department in absence of the HIM Manager.
- Acts as a resource to the HIM Manager and/or CFO in departmental matters.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Coding certification from either AHIMA or AAPC.
- 2 years of coding experience in hospital setting.
- Advanced computer skills and spreadsheet utilization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrates basic knowledge regarding HIM coding standards.
- Analytic skills necessary to accurately assess patient medical records.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work on a team to influence change.
- Must be a self-starter who requirements minimal direction and supervision.
- Must possess personal characteristics of professionalism, credibility and commitment to high standards.
- Able to adapt to change of duties quickly and smoothly.
- Associates Degree.
- 3-5 years coding experience in a hospital setting.
- 2 years supervisory experience.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Must be able to sit for long periods
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs
- Must be able to work paying close attention to detail with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment.
- Adequate hearing and vision for effective communication.
- Follow complex instructions.
- Think logically in following procedures and instructions.
- Work well under stress, with interruptions and deadlines.
- Effectively communicate dept needs to other departments.