The HIM Coder coordinates the processing of fees for professional and facility services provided to patients across all clinical areas for the purpose of reimbursement. Analyzes patient medical records to ensure that documentation by providers conforms to legal and procedural requirements. Assigns specified codes to medical diagnoses, treatments and/or clinical procedures. Queries physicians and other healthcare providers to obtain complete and accurate documentation in the medical record. Audits medical records to ensure proper coding completed and compliance with federal and state regulatory bodies. Accurately follows coding guidelines and legal requirements to ensure compliance.
- Internal and external customer service
- Coding; selecting and assigning proper codes
- Abstracting; to compile statistical data and training
- Auditing; to verify compliance
- Monitors billing performance
- Adhere and support WCH policy, procedures and practices
- Acts as a coding resource to staff across all departments
- Attends in-service training and education sessions, as assigned
- Assist in compiling of statistical and quality data
- Interdepartmental communication in verbal or written formats
- Implement new systems as they occur
- Reporting compliance issues to HIM Manager
- Other work duties and projects as assigned by HIM Manager
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Two or more years of previous Coding hospital or clinic experience
- Must have good working knowledge of ICD-10 codes, HCPCS codes and CPT procedure codes
- Basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Strong computer skills
- Coding certification or RHIT REQUIRED
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
The position is mainly sedentary in nature but may include standing, stooping, bending, stretching, squatting; must be able to stand/walk for up to 70% of the work day; must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs. frequently and 50 lbs. occasionally. Must be able to work paying close attention to detail with frequent interruptions.
Wickenburg Community Hospital is proud to be a 100% tobacco free campus!