ED Nurse Manager
The ED Nurse Manager is responsible for the daily operations of the Emergency Department, ensuring safe nursing care is provided in a timely manner. This position is also responsible for managing the Base Hospital Program as well as the Level IV Trauma Program.
Essential Job Duties:
- Responsible for staff schedule.
- Responsible for selection, orientation, on-boarding, and retention.
- Demonstrates leadership through coaching, performance evaluations, corrective actions, and development opportunities to create a culture of learning.
- Serves in the capacity of the Trauma Nurse Coordinator.
- Evaluates and provides feedback to EMS on patients transported to the ED
- Manages the base hospital program.
- Coordinates trauma care management including planning and implementing of clinical protocols/practice management guidelines monitoring care of trauma patients and serving as a resource for clinical practice.
- Assists staff in problem-solving relating to the care of trauma patients.
- Participates in appropriate committees relating to trauma care and performance improvement.
- Responds to all trauma team activation when in-house and as requested at other times.
- Reviews all trauma/transfer records and reports data to appropriate agencies
- Reviews/updates policies and procedures at least annually.
- Actively participates in regional EMS programs and promotes the services of the Wickenburg Community Hospital ED.
- Actively participates in the Level IV Trauma Program Managers Group.
- Develops leadership skills among staff including communication, decision-making problem-solving/critical thinking and employee engagement. Leads the development of staff and supports career advancement opportunities. Functions as a role model and encourages staff to participate in their own development.
- Facilitates department meetings.
- Assists in the development of the operational and capital budget, provides daily operational resource management including staff, supplies, and equipment, and ensures optimal productivity for the department.
- Actively reviews ED nursing records for documentation and provides timely feedback to
- Reviews customer satisfaction surveys; develops and implements improvement plans based on customer feedback.
- Provides clinical support as needed and serves as resource to nursing staff.
- Effectively communicates with all members of the healthcare team.
- Facilitates integration of concepts into daily practice.
- Establishes and promotes a collaborative relationship with physicians and other members of the healthcare team. Participates in committee meetings as appropriate
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing; ADN
- Current AZ RN license
- Current BLS, ACLS, PALS and TNCC required
- Minimum 5 years nursing experience in ED with at least 2 years in a managerial position
- Must demonstrate critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, effective communication skills and time management skills
- Must demonstrate ability to work effectively with other members of the healthcare team
- Must be able to work flexible hours
- CEN certification
- Rural Healthcare experience
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Frequent standing, stooping, bending, stretching, squatting; must be able to stand/walk for up to 70% of the work day; must be able to lift , transfer, turn and position patients weighing up to 125 lbs. unassisted, or with the assistance of one for a resident weighing over 125 lbs. May be subjected to offensive odors and combative behavior. Must be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. frequently and 50 lbs. occasionally. May be exposed to communicable diseases including the HIV and HBV viruses. Must be able to work paying close attention to detail with frequent interruptions.