Under the guidance of the Chief Nursing Officer the Clinical Educator provides clinical education and evaluation to nursing and patient care staff and facilitates evidenced-based practice within nursing. The Clinical Educator collaborates with nursing management and staff across departments to assess, plan, develop, implement, facilitate, evaluate and revise educational offerings for all levels of nursing personnel and non-nursing personnel as indicated or requested. Acts as a key resource in the orientation and continuing education of nursing staff at WCH. The Clinical Educator analyzes practice and standards to identify gaps and design educational initiatives to improve care. Will support and guide clinical staff in learning, applying, and implementing care guidelines, processes, and standards.
Essential Job Duties:
- Assesses, plans, develops, implements, and evaluates comprehensive education programs to meet the orientation and ongoing competency needs using evidence-based best practice standard of care protocols.
- Ensures all programs meet the Department of Nursing and regulatory expectations and standards.
- Plans, develops, and evaluates the preceptor program to enhance the orientation process and the retention of staff. Provides leadership to preceptors and serves as a role model through educational programs and ongoing coaching and mentoring.
- Develops and delivers/coordinates other educational programs, as directed, to support competence and professional growth within WCH.
- Assists with the development of clinical leadership and critical thinking skills in others.
- Participates in quality performance improvement activities.
- Maintains reporting responsibility to regulatory bodies for educational program compliance.
- Assists in development of clinical policies and procedures as requested.
- Based on needs assessments, assists with providing the staff with opportunities to acquire necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes to fulfill role expectations.
- Accepts committee and workgroup appointments and actively participates.
- Serves as the Lippincott Solutions site administrator.
- Provides CPR instruction for all WCH employees, both initial and renewal
- Oversees the continuing education program for EMT’s/paramedics as part of the base hospital requirements
- Completes annual clinical educational needs assessment
- Works collaboratively with all clinical managers to prepare appropriate educational offerings to clinical staff
- A resource to the Clinic nursing personnel (LPN, MAs)
- RN currently licensed by the State of Arizona
- Three years of ED or Acute Care nursing experience
- Previous experience as a Clinical Educator or Preceptor in a healthcare setting
- Demonstrated Knowledge of Adult Learning Principles
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Three years of experience with orientation and education of nursing staff in a clinical setting
- BSN / BA in Education
- MSN / M.Ed
- Previous experience as adjunct faculty
- Previous experience as a Clinical Educator
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Occasional to frequent standing, walking, sitting. Standing for extended periods of time during presentations.
- Frequent close eye work (reading, typing, writing, computer).
- Carrying of objects up to 25 lbs.
- Environmental exposures include but are not limited to: Blood-borne pathogen exposure, Bio-hazardous waste, Chemicals/gases/fumes/vapors, Communicable diseases, Electrical shock, Floor Surfaces, Hot/Cold Temperatures, Latex, Lighting.